01/12/17 - CV for Mock Interview

CV for Mock Interview

Job I am applying for:

I am applying for the job role of the Front of House Assistant at Sadlers Wells. Here is the Job Description Letter:


Front of House Assistant 
(Casual positions)

About Sadlers Wells

Sadler’s Wells is a world-leading arts organisation, dedicated to presenting, producing and touring dance made today in all its forms. Sadler’s Wells commissions, presents and produces more dance than any other theatre in the world – from tango to hip hop, ballet to flamenco, Bollywood to cutting-edge contemporary dance. With an innovative, yearround programme of performances and learning activities, this is the place where artists come together to create dance, and where we welcome everyone to experience dance and be inspired. Dance has the ability to connect with people both intellectually and emotionally and Sadler’s Wells’ vision is that dance is part of everyone’s life. We want to make sure that dance continues to have something new to say but also that it continues to stimulate the way we think about the world around us. Over half a million people come to our theatres in London each year, with many more enjoying our touring productions at partner venues across the UK and in cities around the world. Sadler’s Wells Theatre has been located in Islington since the 17th century. Our modern day theatre comprises a main auditorium (1,500 seats); the Lilian Baylis Studio (180 seats); three rehearsals studios; bars, a cafĂ©, facilities for private and corporate entertaining and offices for Sadler’s Wells’ staff. Our second theatre building and West End home, the Peacock (1,000 seats), is subject to a unique agreement whereby Sadler’s Wells and the London School of Economics jointly manage it, with the LSE presenting its lectures to students during the day and Sadler’s Wells presenting theatre at night. 

Future Plans

Plans are underway for the development of a fourth venue in east London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Sadler’s Wells’ new space will be located on the Stratford Waterfront site, opposite the London Aquatics Centre, alongside UAL’s London College of Fashion and the V&A Museum. The site will form part of a new cultural and education district, which will also include a major new University College London (UCL) campus and have direct links to the creative communities already based in east London. Sadler’s Wells’ new space will house a 550-seat mid-scale theatre, as well as facilities for a choreographic centre and a hip hop academy. A major fundraising campaign is being developed in order to realise both capital and revenue requirements and open the new theatre in 2022. 

The Department

The role of the Front of House team is to create a consistent and exceptional visitor experience which reflects and enhances the organisation’s vision. We offer a welcoming, safe and secure environment whilst maximizing income and ensuring that best value for money is achieved. The department is led by the Head of Visitor Experience, and consists of the following areas, Security, Cleaning and Housekeeping, Front of House and Stage Door.

Key Responsibilities 

  • Present a welcoming, courteous and efficient service to all visitors to Sadler’s Wells. 
  • Ensure the comfort and safety of the public at all times. 
  • Work as directed in any sales outlet, including sales points for programmes, merchandise, ice creams, or cloakroom. 
  • Keep records of sales of stock, to reconcile cash with sales and return cash and unsold stock as directed. To be responsible for stock and cash until returned to the Cashier or other nominated person. 
  • Positively encourage patrons to buy programmes, ice cream, merchandise and make use of Sadler’s Wells food and beverage facilities. 
  • Check patrons’ tickets before they enter the auditorium. 
  • Be aware of the standard of tidiness required in the theatres and to be responsible for maintaining that standard at all times. 
  • Be aware of the theatre’s products and facilities and in particular with current and future shows in order to assist the public with queries and to promote the work and image of the theatre. 
  • Deal with emergency and evacuation situations according to procedures laid down by the theatre management. This will include taking part in fire and safety drills, building searches and security checks. To alert the Duty House Manager to any infringement of safety aspects within the front of house areas and auditoria. 
  • Maximise income and minimise expenditure without loss of quality in all areas of responsibility. 
  • Be aware of the needs of patrons with disabilities of all kinds and to ensure that those needs are dealt with efficiently. 
  • Attend occasional staff meetings and training sessions, as required. 
  • Undertake other duties as may be reasonably required. 
  • At all times to carry out duties and responsibilities with regard to Sadler’s Wells’ Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety Policies. This may include providing assistance with evacuation procedures or building searches in the event of an emergency at any of Sadler's Wells’ premises. 

THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS A GUIDE TO THE NATURE OF THE WORK REQUIRED

OF THIS POSITION. IT IS NEITHER WHOLLY COMPREHENSIVE NOR RESTRICTIVE

AND DOES NOT FORM PART OF THE CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT. 


What we are looking for

The successful applicant will demonstrate the following skills, experience, and personal qualities:

ESSENTIAL:
  • You must be available to work evenings, weekends and holiday periods including Christmas and New Year 
  • Excellent customer service skills 
  • Excellent communication and interpersonal skills 
  • Experience of working with members of the public in a busy environment 
  • Ability to respond calmly in emergency situations 
  • Experience of cash handling 
  • Able to work without constant supervision and on own initiative 
  • Smart appearance 
  • Experience of proactive sales
DESIRABLE:
  • Experience of working with people of all ages and backgrounds 
  • Experience of working with people with disabilities 
  • Able to demonstrate initiative 
  • A good team player 
  • Interest in dance and the arts

Terms and Conditions

These are casual position and shifts will be offered as and when they are available. The minimum shift length is four hours. Salary is £9.26 per hour. Paid annual leave. The company encourages attendance of performances at both theatres with a discretionary allocation of tickets to employees (subject to availability). 

MY CV:

Cover Letter:

As a student currently studying dance, and looking for a job, I couldn’t think of a job that I am better suited to or would be more interested in, and this interest would definitely lead to me being consistent, committed and concentrated at all times. I always have a positive attitude to working hard and I think my greatest asset is my work ethic, so you can be sure that I will always approach my work with maximum energy and focus. I would also strive to ensure that every customer thoroughly enjoyed their time at Sadlers Wells and that their love for the arts grew with every visit, as mine does. I also believe I would be very well-suited to the job as I have experience of working with many different types of people, due to my experience working with children with special needs and refugees in which case there was a difficult language barrier. Also, I would be well-suited to the job due to my experience working with computers and logging sales. I am also willing to give up as much time as possible to my work, and would be delighted to do so at such as prestigious venue. I also have an enormous interest in the arts, especially dance works and would love to induce that love of the arts into other people as well. I have also worked collaboratively with people of all ages, most notably in a project that I completed at Sadlers Wells where I performed with an inter-generational cast ranging from very young children to seniors. This means I can communicate well with people of all ages to make a good impression and represent the company well. I also really enjoy working with other people, as I’ve been part of many team projects over the years. A notable example is when I completed my Silver Arts Award and was required to work with two others on the planning of a workshop project, and I am currently working on a youth-led project to run workshops for young children to heighten their interest in the arts with two other people, which we have just been funded for by the youth board in Hackney. This demonstrates that I am good at working in a team and have been committed to everything I have taken up, and this will continue for any project or job I complete.

Tailored CV:

Mollie Stebbing
Date of Birth - 17/10/2000
Mollie.stebbing@googlemail.com
07375374684

Personal Statement

I am a dedicated, hard-working individual who will devote any and all time to working, especially in the arts, and who enjoys communicating and interacting in a positive way with others, regardless of any disabilities or inhibiting factors such as language barriers. I also enjoy working with others as a team but also individually, showing initiative at all times. 

Education

I studied at Townley Grammar School for Girls for 5 academic years, from September 2012 until July 2017. I completed my GCSE's in May and June of 2017 and left with 3 9's, 6A*'s and 3 A's. Here is the breakdown of my GCSE results:
English Literature – 9               English Language – 9              Mathematics – 9
French – A*            Dance – A*           Drama – A*             Classical Civilisation – A
Religious Studies – A*           Biology – A              Physics – A           Chemistry – A*
I am now currently working towards a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Dance at the Brit School. I began studying here in August 2017. 

Work Experience and other Achievements/Placements

I spent around 3 months volunteering at Bexley Snap working with disabled children, and communicating with the other workers and the parents of the children on the weekends. This showed that I am able to communicate with a wide variety of different people despite any setbacks.
I am also an NCS graduate and I am currently part of a youth-led project to lead a dance workshop in the new year for teenagers to get involved in the arts. As it is youth-led, me and my team are responsible for managing the budget, the advertising and the leading of the workshop, so we are practising leadership, logistical and persuasive skills. 
I worked with Antalis during the summers of 2016 and 2017 where I was payed to look up companies and do other administrative duties.
Also, NCS taught me a lot of communicative skills and how to work extremely productively in a team with new people that I had just met. 
I have also led dance classes in the past and have been left with a great deal of responsibility and trusted to lead a large group of people without assistance.
I have also completed my bronze Duke of Edinburgh award which taught me a lot about persistence and being determined and focused, which has largely contributed to the positive mindset and focus that I have today.

Achievements in the Arts

I have completed my Silver Arts Award in Dance which I completed during the academic year between 2016-2017. During my completion of this award, I spent a lot of time learning to work with different people and learning how everyone can be included in the arts. For example, I led a dance workshop for Refugees in Croydon which was an enlightening experience and meant that I had to overcome language barriers and use the arts to communicate and connect with others. 
I have performed at Sadlers Wells Theatre multiple times, so I have a good understanding of the layout as well as of the policies of the theatre and the jobs that the front of house employees perform. I performed in the theatre at Step LIVE in July 2015 as well as July 2016, and I also performed in a show named Home Turf for which I rehearsed at Sadlers Wells during the summer of 2016 and performed there in September 2016. I have also watched performances at the theatre including Alvin Ailey. 
I have also performed dance pieces at the Royal Festival Hall, The Broadway Theatre in Barking, Hackney Empire and the Laban Theatre, therefore I have a good knowledge of the professionalism required in a theatre and the protocol.
I have also performed alongside semi-professional company The Garde as well as professional company Avant Garde Dance Company so I have knowledge of professionalism with artistic professionals as well as of the arts in general and how to work appropriately within theatres.
I have also helped with the organisation and set-up of dance events in the past, namely dance sharings for Step Into Dance, where I was put in charge and trusted to collect money from audience members as they entered the building and provide them with change. I was also responsible to guiding audience members to their seats in the busy environment of a bustling theatre, and I was also given the responsibility to guide the mayor of the town to his/her seat on multiple occasions. This demonstrated that I could work individually without constant supervision and was trusted by others to provide a good service to the public and communicate in a positive and welcoming way.

Reference

Dear Sir/Madam, 
My name is Kevin Young, I am the principle of Young Performers Academy and have been a faculty Teacher for the Royal Academy of Dance and Step Into Dance in partnership with the Jack Petchey Foundation for the last 6 years. Mollie Stebbing has been my student for the last 4 years I have found her to be a dedicated and hard working student with an amazing work ethic. Several times in the past I have been unable to attend rehearsals or shows and Mollie has stepped in and led the group which shows tremendous leadership qualities. Her punctuality and attendance are also some of her greatest qualities as well as showing impressive communication skills. I highly recommend Mollie for any job in your company and I’m sure that she will do a great job. She would be a great asset for any business. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact me for more details. 
Yours faithfully,
Kevin Young 
07515713212 
YoungPerformersAcademy@gmail.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

8/9/17 - Additional Research on Warm Ups, Cool Downs, Rehabilitation and Injury Prevention

8/9/17 - Injuries, Warm Ups and Cool Downs